- Font Size
- Reading Mode
What is National Volunteer Week?
Established in 1989, National Volunteer Week (NVW) is the largest annual celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in Australia, recognising the contributions of volunteers nationwide.
NVW 2017 runs from 8-14 May, and the theme is Give Happy, Live Happy. This follows on from research showing that volunteers are happier, healthier and even sleep better than those who don’t volunteer. Even a few hours of volunteer work can make a huge difference in a person’s overall happiness.
How to join the celebration:
We encourage all volunteers, volunteer managers, volunteer-involving organisations, businesses, academia and government to join with us in celebrating this vital industry. Head over to our website volunteeringqld.org.au/nvw to find details of events being held across the state to celebrate NVW. The website also contains resources for NVW, including downloadable posters and logos, an event calendar, media releases, and merchandise. You can also nominate outstanding individuals, programs or organisations for the Queensland Volunteering Awards.
NVW is managed nationally by Volunteering Australia. The Queensland NVW celebrations are hosted by Volunteering Queensland, the peak body dedicated to advancing and promoting the vitally important work volunteer-involving organisations and volunteers are engaged in across the state.
How you can take part in National Volunteer Week:
- Host an event to thank and celebrate your volunteers
- Download our full resource guide covering how organisations with volunteers can participate
- Register your NVW activities on our event calendar
- Share stories of inspiring volunteers on social media using the hashtags #GiveHappyLiveHappy #NVW2017
- Print out and distribute the NVW posters, certificates, logos and smile templates from the website
- Order NVW merchandise (wear a pin with pride!)
- Encourage your family, friends, neighbours and colleagues to give volunteering a go
Queensland Volunteering Awards
These awards recognise the compassion, commitment and hard work volunteers put in to make a positive impact in their communities.
There are six award categories:
- Volunteer of the Year
- Youth Volunteering
- Lifetime Contribution to Volunteering
- Excellence in Volunteer Management
- Volunteering Impact (a volunteer program)
- Corporate Volunteering (an employee volunteering program)
Nominees, finalists and recipients will be honoured at the 2017 Queensland Volunteering Awards Presentation and Recognition Ceremony and official National Volunteer Week launch on Friday 12 May, 10am - 12noon at Brisbane City Hall. Each award recipient receives a beautiful trophy and certificate, and will be profiled in an extensive media campaign.
Read the stories of some of our amazing nominees.
Nominations closed on 31 March 2017. Please note this event is now fully booked.
Need some help with National Volunteer Week?
National Volunteer Week is proudly supported by the Queensland Government