The Palm Beach Neighbourhood Centre services the Palm Beach and Coolangatta regions and surrounding areas
About the Initiative
As part of the Queensland Government’s Covid-19 recovery plan, Volunteering Queensland is delivering the UNITE AND RECOVER: Neighbourhood and Care Army Connect Workers Initiative (NCAC), a statewide program in partnership with Care Army and the Queensland Government.
The Unite and Recover: Neighbourhood and Care Army Connect Workers Initiative has placed 15 dedicated Connect Workers in 15 neighbourhood and community centres across the state.
The Connect Workers are set to identify needs for volunteer support within local volunteer involving organisations (VIOs), connecting them with Care Army Volunteers. They will support the VIOs in building their capacity and capability utilising Care Army volunteers. These volunteers will assist in delivery of support services to vulnerable members of their community affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In facilitating this, The Initiative will:
- increase accessibility of services for communities in high need.
- effectively support VIOs with the recruitment, management, and retention of volunteers.
- place Care Army volunteers with organisations requiring assistance to deliver essential services.
- reduce social isolation experienced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- present substantial volunteer opportunities across Queensland thus improving the volunteering rate.
Care Army Background
The Care Army was established in early 2020 as the Queensland Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic with the aim of supporting Queensland’s older and vulnerable citizens. Support was available to community members who found themselves isolated and in need of assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic lock downs. Over 29,000 individuals from across Queensland registered their interest to volunteer.
Many volunteer involving organisations (VIOs) experienced a decline in volunteer numbers but an increase in demand for their services and expressed interest in engaging additional volunteers through the Care Army. This scenario highlighted the need to support organisations to effectively mobilise and manage additional volunteers, and to reduce barriers regarding engagement and retention of new volunteers.
How to participate
- If you are already registered as a Care Army Volunteer, we will contact you about Volunteering Opportunities as they arise in your region.
- If you are interested in participating and are not yet a Care Army Volunteer, please register your interest.
- If you are an organisation within one of the listed regions and would like to request volunteers, please complete the registration form or contact your Connect Worker directly.
Become a Care Army volunteer
The Care Army continues to deliver essential services to vulnerable people affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.Register my interest
Palm Beach Neighbourhood Centre
Palm Beach Neighbourhood Centre (PBNC) is a multi-purpose, community-based facility which provides services in response to the social, cultural and educational and welfare needs of the Southern Gold Coast in order to improve the quality of life of the community as a whole and in particular, it’s more vulnerable members.
Do you need volunteers to help support your community organisation?
We can help with that.Request Volunteers
Neighbourhood and Care Army Connect Worker
Palm Beach Neighbourhood Centre
16 Third Ave, Palm Beach, 4221
(07) 5598 1505