It's important that you choose a volunteer role that matches your values, aspirations & meets your requirements
- Font Size
- Reading Mode
Here are a few questions you should consider when applying for a volunteer role:
- What are your motivations for volunteering?
- Is there a cause that is close to your heart?
- How much time can you commit?
- Is the proximity of the role an acceptable distance from your residence? If it's a considerable distance, are you able to cover your travel expenses as you may not be reimbursed by the organisation?
- Do you satisfy the requirements of the role which could include age, language and experience?
- Does the organisation have Volunteer Personal Accident and Public Liability Insurance to cover you for the volunteer work you will be doing? Are there any exclusions such as age limits or the type of voluntary work undertaken?
- Have you met the necessary requirements to work with youth, the aged, or disabled? Check with the organisation and they will advise you what's required, and how to apply for a card if necessary. Sometimes a police check will also be required.
- Is the organisation a nonprofit or community project (i.e. not a private business or company)? You can be assured that organisations we may refer you to are for community benefit.
- Does the purpose of the organisation match your own values and beliefs?
- Does the organisation offer the sort of work that interests you and can maintain or develop your skills?
- Are there written volunteer policies explaining your rights and responsibilities and what you can expect from the organisation?
- Are there written procedures that reflect the code of practice for organisations involving volunteers?
- Is there a written role description for the volunteer role you are interested in and does it explain what you will be doing?
- Does the organisation have a manager of volunteers or a contact person whose job is to support and supervise volunteers?
- Will you receive adequate training and orientation to perform your role?
- Will the organisation provide you with a written reference?
- Will you be reimbursed for money spent on behalf of the organisation?