About National Volunteer Week (NVW)
Established in 1989, National Volunteer Week is the premier celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in
Australia, and provides an opportunity to highlight the role of volunteers in our community and to say thank you to the millions of Australians who volunteer.
The information and key messages below are available for everyone to use leading up to and during National Volunteer Week. We encourage all volunteer involving organisations, governments, researchers, corporates, and other enabling organisations, to proudly promote the upcoming celebrations to help increase the awareness of the vital role volunteers play in our lives.
Find information and key messaging from the nations peak body Volunteering Australia and find out how you can get involved.
The awards celebrate all Queensland volunteers and the immense impact they make on individuals, communities and
National Volunteer Week Events will take place from 20 – 26 May 2024, to say thank you to the millions of Australians who volunteer their time. We invite you to join in the events across the country.
- National Volunteer Week (20 – 26 May 2024) is Australia’s largest annual celebration of volunteering.
- This special event recognises the crucial role of volunteers in supporting our nation and encourages people to start volunteering.
- Volunteering has the power to change the lives of both volunteers and those they help. It offers opportunities for social, economic, and cultural inclusion, and improves our health and wellbeing.
Messages of Thanks
- Volunteering Queensland is the peak body for volunteering in Queensland and is solely dedicated to advancing volunteering for the economic, social, cultural & environmental well-being of Queensland.
- Volunteering Queensland proudly represents over 300 organisations across the state.
- MEDIA RELEASE: Australia’s Invisible Workforce: The Crucial Role of Volunteers in Supporting our Nation
- FACT SHEET: Volunteering in Australia – Volunteering Experiences by Sector
- FACT SHEET: Volunteering Key Statistics – February 2022
- RESEARCH: Volunteering in Australia 2022
- RESEARCH: The Story Project
- The National Strategy for Volunteering 2023-2033